Tomorrow is my last day of work.
Two days after that we’re moving.
I found out yesterday that I didn’t get a job for which I was incredibly well-qualified.
I also found out yesterday that a guy I went to middle and high school with died very unexpectedly.
In sum, I don’t like change and there has been a lot of change, upheaval, disappointment, and facing of my own mortality and that of the people I love, all within the span of about a week. Oh, also the cats are panicked and peeing all over everything.
I try hard not to wish away my days, even the bad ones, because every moment is so precious. I try hard not to feel like a failure when I don’t get the things that I want and work hard for. I try not to waste time worrying – obsessing? – about whether and when and how the people I dearly love will pass away. I try not to want to kill my sweetly tyrannous baby kittens.
And yet. I am ready for this week to be over, I am ready to be moved in, I am ready to have said my goodbyes at work and shut the door on that period of my life, pleasant though it was. I am ready to stop being anxious so I won’t fall prey to my mega-anxiety-producing-triggers (unexpected deaths being a major, major trigger for me).
I’m ready to let go and let myself be happy again. I’m ready to take responsibility for my own joy.
When I was in high school, one of my best friends and I both kept small notebooks with us at all time. We called them our Happy Books. They were filled with an ongoing list of things that made us happy – pictures, inside jokes, people, events, memories… I’m sure half of it wouldn’t make sense to me now, but I’m not sure I’ve ever been as content with my life as when I kept a Happy Book. Seems like it might be time to start that back up again. So for tonight…
10 Things That Make Me Happy Right Now
1. My shiny new apartment
2. Numbered, color-coded moving boxes
3. The fact that my haircat loves me so much that she hates that I’m typing this right now, because she really wants to be sitting ON ME
4. Brunch with Rev
5. Victory over The Man: Comcast gave me an amazing deal on cable when I called to tell them I had to go to basic because I’d been laid off. Everything I have now for half the price. Ahmazing.
6. Finn’s freckles
7. Air conditioning
8. The story that has been floating around in my mind, waiting to get out
9. Living one train stop away from Cali beginning Saturday
10. The possibilities that await me now that I’ve got free time again…